The wedding day is arguably the most anticipated day in every woman’s life. You have fantasized on every little detail about your special day, and now it is finally here. And reality starts to sink in. Your taste and preference in certain things that used to drive you crazy have changed; finances come into play, and so on and so forth.
When your D-day is approaching, you have to put certain things into perspective. One of the critical decisions you make is about your bridal make-up. It is not uncommon these days for brides to opt to do their own make-up as opposed to hiring a professional to do it. But what are the pros and cons of each of these options?
Below we discuss the pros, cons, and what you need to consider when opting for either of the two options.
Doing your makeup
• Firstly, it will save you a tonne of money that you would have used in hiring a professional make-up artist
• You will look and feel much like yourself, giving you comfort and confidence
• No one knows your face and what works for you better than yourself
• You may not photograph well as you do not know how your makeup captures on the camera
• Your makeup may not look as good nor last as long as it should depending on your skills and the type of make-up you use
• Bride is usually under a lot of stress on the wedding day, doing your own make-up may add on to that stress
• You may not be able to keep retouching your makeup through the day nor correct it perfectly
• You’ll need to figure out how the rest of your bridal party will be catered to. Whether you will be doing theirs too or if they have enough expertise to do their own make-up
Below are steps to help you out if you indeed do choose to do your own makeup:
1. Make sure you have all the required products and tools to apply your makeup
2. Do your research thoroughly. Magazines and the internet can prove to be valuable sources of tutorials and tips on how to apply wedding make-up
3. Practice, practice and more practice will help you hone your make-up skills
4. Invest in good quality makeup that is long lasting, waterproof etc.
5. Take pictures in various light settings to see how well your makeup will photograph
6. Practise wearing your preferred wedding make-up look for a whole day, especially on a busy one to see how well it holds up
Having your make-up professionally done
• It will reduce your stress levels on your wedding day as you won’t have to worry about your make-up
• You will get the star treatment on your big day
• They have the professional know how to have your makeup looking perfect the whole day
• It will add onto your overall wedding costs
• Woe unto you if they don’t know how to correctly apply make-up for photography as you may end up looking ghastly in your pictures
• They may insist on doing your make-up their own way instead of focusing on what you want for your big day
What you need to do:
1. Research about the makeup look you want for your big day
2. Book a trial appointment with your make-up artist to have a trial run on the make-up you want. Ensure you book the same artist for your big day if you are satisfied with the results
3. Be confident enough to speak up if you are not happy with the trial run. Request for a re-do or opt to change your make-up artist entirely before time to ensure you get exactly what you want for your big day
4. Practice wearing the look for the whole day to see how it will hold up on your wedding day. Take as many photos as possible in different light settings to also see how well it photographs
5. Lastly, ask for a discount. Many artists will offer a discount if you spend a certain amount on their services. Be sure to take advantage of any perks or discounts available
From the above comparison, it is evident that both options do come with their own advantages and disadvantages. It is essential you realize that one choice is not better than the other; it all depends on your personal needs, preference and importantly your budget. So, consider your options wisely and be confident in whichever option you choose to go with because….well, it is your big day, and all that really matters is for you to be happy.