Washington Monument weddingIt should come as no surprise that getting married at the Washington Monument would require a great deal of paperwork since the Washington Monument is situated in Washington D.C., the seat of our national government and the heart of our government’s paperwork-obsessed bureaucracy.

So, if you have your heart set on getting married in or near this magnificent national treasure, you’d better be sure that you have done your research and know exactly what kind of certificates and permits your marriage will require.

Because the Washington Monument is a national monument, you’ll need to secure special permission to be married there.
This is in addition to a marriage certificate and other papers you’ll need to secure before getting married.

Getting married in Washington D.C. requires proof of legal age, which you and your fiancée can supply with a driver’s license, birth certificate or valid passport.
You must also supply your social security number, address, date of birth and both your home and work phone numbers.

However, you don’t have to be a resident of the District of Columbia in order to be married within its confines, nor do you have to submit to any sort of premarital education.

If you’ve ever been married before, you will need to provide proof of a divorce or a death certificate for your spouse.
There is a waiting period of five days in the District of Columbia.
You will need a receipt for $35.00 in order to pick up your wedding license from the DC Superior Courthouse located at 500 Indiana Avenue.
Go to room 4885.
The offices are open from 8:30 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday.

Washington D.C. does require all prospective couples to provide a blood test at the time they apply for their marriage license.
The blood test must be conducted within 30 days of applying for the wedding license in order for it to be considered valid.
Any physician, clinic, area hospital or a military service lab can conduct the test and provide valid test results.

Cousins other than first cousins can marry in the District of Columbia.
However, same sex couples do not have the right to marry there, so they will have to go to a state or municipality that permits such unions.
New Hampshire is a popular destination for same sex couples that wish to form a civil union.
Ordained ministers and justices of the peace are authorized to marry couples in Washington D.C.